Business-- Business news generally and by
business sector or country of the European Union. Note
especially the EU Guides page with "background
information and questions and answers about topical EU
• eufeeds-- From the European Journalism Centre, posts links to current news from over 1000 newspapers from over a score of European countries, constantly updated and with a page on European news.
• EUobserver-- "Independent online newspaper which values free thinking and plain speech. We aim to support European democracy by giving people the information they need to hold the EU establishment to account."
• EurActiv-- Excellent portal site and directory, with a lot of solid content of news (with archives), the useful BlogActiv.eu, analysis, country profiles, policy positions, online guide to thousands of EU actors, more.
• Euromoney-- A sophisticated source of business and financial information, includes extended research and surveys, capital markets league tables from Euromoney's proprietary databases, and dates of forthcoming industry summits, conferences and seminars.
• euronews-- Leading European news video channel, with international news, weather, features, and topic directories in several languages, from a European perspective.
• Europe’s World-- "The only independent Europe-wide policy journal, produced in association with some 150-plus leading European think tanks and academic institutions... the premier ideas platform for new thinking on political, economic and social issues."
• European Media Monitor
Newsbrief-- Major news aggregator sponsored by EU
agencies: "Novel and unique software that gathers reports
from news portals world-wide in 60 languages, classifies
the articles, analyses the news texts by extracting
information from them, aggregates the information, issues
alerts and produces intuitive visual presentations of the
information found." Note the many news links on aspects of
• the Euros-- News, analysis, and blogs, "to explain European politics in an understandable fashion... the latest news from Brussels and the member states, background reports and interviews."
• Eurozine-- "Network
of European cultural journals... from nearly all European
countries... a Europe-wide overview of current themes and
discussions [and] a rich source of information for an
• EUSource-- "Weekly newsletter from the Future Europe Initiative [of the Atlantic Council] that provides news and analysis of EU economic policy, regulatory developments, and internal politics."
• Google's European Union news search page-- Excellent and focused search engine to retrieve news about the European Union. Offers an e-mail news alert service.
• Inside Europe-- The BBC's website on
EU news, opinions, and analysis.
• New Europe-- "The European weekly,
published since 1993, is a unique product carrying news
and analyses from 49 countries with a particular emphasis
on the EU institutions and EU-World relations."
Parliament Magazine-- "Active and engaging forum for
discussion on the latest developments in EU politics and
policy, featuring regular contributions from prominent
European policymakers and our experienced editorial team."
• Politico.eu-- European edition of the famous news and commentary website, focusing on European topics and Issues.
• World Economic Forum-- Europe Union news and analysis from this important NGO.
of the University of Kent has a fine
directory for official EU websites.
• Council of Europe--
"Seeks to develop throughout Europe common and
democratic principles based on the European Convention
on Human Rights and other reference texts on the
protection of individuals... on the basis of these
fundamental values we try to find shared solutions to
major problems such as terrorism, organized crime and
corruption, cybercrime, bioethics and cloning,
violence against children and women, and trafficking
in human beings."
Delegation to the USA-- This site is a fine
source of information about the EU, its member
states, and the EU-US relationship.
The official EU server, covering the Parliament, the
Council, the Commission, the Court of Justice, the Court
of Auditors, and other bodies of the European Union.
Check the Newsroom
for news, information, and orientation. Basic
information about the European Union is found at About the EU. The Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement
section of the European Commission site examines issues
of EU enlargement and relations with neighboring
countries. All available information on EUROPA about the
EU's foreign policies/external relations can be found
through the European Union External Action Service.
Bookshop-- Handy interactive site "giving access
to publications from the EU institutions, agencies and
other bodies... with an online catalogue and archive of
all EU publications. EU Bookshop will allow users to
search for EU publications, order them and where
possible, download [often free] copies."
searchable portal of the European Union for European
Union Law, including the Official Journal of the
European Union. Note the Summaries
of EU Legislation-- "Clear and concise summaries
of EU legislation in all policy areas... [in]
user-friendly fact sheets which summarise EU
legislation... not only summaries of existing
measures, but also a follow-up of legislative
• European Commission Library and
e-Resources Centre-- Central site maintained by
the European Commission's unit responsible for libraries
and European Documentation Centres, "an essential tool
for librarians, documentalists and researchers working
on European material." Find-eR
is "a tool for searching multiple library resources in
one interface. It includes the European Commission
Library collections, plus millions of online full-text
journal articles and eBooks."
Court of Human Rights-- "The only truly judicial
organ established by the European Convention on Human
Rights... [ensuring], in the last instance, that
contracting states observe their obligations under the
Convention... All of the Court's judgments, and a
significant selection of decisions and reports, are
published [online] in the HUDOC database."
• European Documentation Centre-- At
the University of Mannheim, part of a network set up by
the European Commission to offer "access to official
documents and publications of the EU institutions in
printed or electronic version." Much information about
the EU and many of its full-text electronic documents
are accessible on or through this site.
Union Institute for Security Studies-- An
autonomous agency of the European Union, this institute
conducts studies and posts them online, and offers a
newsletter about security issues of interest to the EU.
"Offers a comprehensive range of printed and electronic
publications and datasets that, collectively, cover all
areas of European statistics, and at every level of
Publications page for the many
statistics, guides, and analytical reports available
free online, as well as the Eurostat yearbook. Statistics Explained presents "all
possible statistical topics in an easily understandable
way... [an] encyclopedia of European statistics,
completed by a statistical glossary clarifying all terms
used and by numerous links to further information and
the very latest data and metadata..."
Central Bank-- Chief financial institution of the
European Union, which posts reports, publications, and
• European Commission Trade Site--
From the European Commission, much information on EU
Union Law and Publications-- The official
publishing house of the European Union "offers a number
of online services giving free access to information on
EU law, EU publications, EU public procurement, and EU
research and development," as well as to the Official
Journal of the European Union.
• Open Data Portal-- "Managed by the Publications Office of the European Union... the single point of access to a growing range of data from the institutions and other bodies of the European Union (EU). Data are free for you to use and reuse for commercial or non-commercial purposes."
• Public Opinion-- From the Public
Opinion Analysis sector of the European Commission, the
searchable central site for EU public opinion surveys,
with results and data online, as well as archives.
Includes Standard Eurobarometer, Special Eurobarometer,
Flash Eurobarometer, and qualitative studies. There is
also an Archive.
• Archive of
European Integration-- From the Library System of
the University of Pittsburgh-- "an electronic repository
and archive for research materials on the topic of
European integration and unification. The AEI collects
two types of materials: certain types of
independently-produced research materials and official
European Community/European Union documents." Thousands
of documents and research papers for free download.
• Centre for
European Policy Studies-- From Brussels, one of
Europe's leading think tanks, with the motto of
"Thinking ahead for Europe." Excellent and numerous
online publications, full-text and abstracts, and
commentary index, largely on the European Union.
• Centre for European Reform-- From London, "a think-tank devoted to improving the quality of the debate on the future of the European Union," pro-European cooperation but with a critical eye to promote "new ideas and policies for reforming the European Union." Numerous publications online.
Citizen Action Service-- NGO "independent of
political parties, commercial interests and the EU
Institutions. The association’s mission is to enable
NGOs and individuals to make their voice heard with the
EU." Site features news, documents, publications, and
more about EU citizenship and civil society, rights, and
Council on Foreign Relations-- "First pan-European
think tank... its objective is to conduct research and
promote informed debate across Europe on the development
of coherent and effective European values-based foreign
policy." Posts publications, podcasts, articles,
blogs, and the annual "European Foreign Policy
Scorecard," all about Europe's role in the world.
• European Institute-- From the London School of Economics and Political Science, an outstanding "primary focus for the inter-disciplinary study of processes of integration and fragmentation within Europe." Posts many papers in its priority areas of research: governance of the European Union, European ideas and identities, and European political economy. Note the useful Research Resources on Europe page.
Policy Centre-- Excellent innovative, society-wide
think-tank in Brussels for debate of European Union
policy issues, with many documents, studies, and
Policy Institutes Network-- "Network of dynamic
think tanks and policy institutes focusing on current EU
and European political and policy debates... with almost
40 member think tanks in 28 countries... EPIN aims to
contribute to the debate on the Future of Europe through
up to the minute, expert analysis and commentary and
through providing easy access to understanding the
different national debates." Many studies posted online.
• European Research Papers Archive-- Excellent historical archive site, no longer updated since early 2015, with a database of 1925 working papers about European integration, from many research centers.
• European Union History Site-- From the History Department of Leiden University: "On this site you will find all sorts of information regarding the history of the European Union."
• European Union Studies Association-- "The premier scholarly and professional association, worldwide, focusing on the European Union," with "information on EUSA's programs and activities, such as the Forum essays from our quarterly EUSA Review, ideas and syllabi for teaching the EU, updates on our next international conference, an annotated list of valuable EU-related Web links, and more."
• European University Institute-- University consortium that provides "advanced academic training to doctoral researchers and... research at the highest level," with "a European perspective in economics, law, history and civilization, and political and social sciences." Many research products on EU affairs and related topics are available here, including through the search engine for the Cadmus database. Note the European Union Research Guide.
• European Values Study--
"Large-scale, cross-national, and longitudinal survey
research program on basic human values [in Europe],
[carried on by] the European Values Study group...
aimed at exploring the moral and social values
underlying European social and political institutions
and governing conduct." Site posts surveys and results,
newsletters, link to data, and more.
EU Foreign Policy-- From the Catholic University
of Leuven and the College of Europe, "this online
resource guide for researchers, practitioners and
students is a comprehensive guide through the maze of
information sources on EU foreign policy... This website
is a Jean Monnet Action and has received funding from
the European Community."
Trust-- From the UK, Europe's oldest think-tank on
European integration, focused on good governance and
"the interactions between regional, national, European
and global levels of government." Online studies.
• Friends of
Europe-- "Part of Europe’s World Group... a
leading think-tank that aims to stimulate new thinking
on global and European issues that span political,
economic, social and environmental challenges,"
Brussels-based, with policy debates and publications.
• Jacques Delors Institute (Notre Europe)-- This think tank "organises seminars and conferences, directs studies, consultations, and publications, launches information campaigns, and carries out other types of work of European interest in collaboration with institutions or press organisations." Many papers, seminar reports, debates, and sources of information off-site.
• Jean Monnet Program-- At the
New York University School of Law, publishes online the
excellent Jean Monnet Working Papers on topics of
European integration, with many other online resources
also available at or through this site.
• Open Europe-- "Independent think tank, with offices in London and Brussels, which "believes that the EU must now embrace radical reform based on economic liberalisation, a looser and more flexible structure, and greater transparency and accountability if it is to overcome these [current] challenges and succeed in the twenty-first century."
• PublicData.eu-- “Pan European data portal, providing access to open, freely reusable datasets from local, regional and national public bodies across Europe… a single point of access”… so users can “browse, explore and compare datasets by region, subject matter and format.”
• Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced
Studies-- From the European University Institute,
promotes research on the major issues confronting
European society, principally the construction of
Europe. Hundreds of first-rate studies are available
• Statewatch-- From London, a non-profit group of "lawyers, academics, journalists, researchers and community activists" that "encourages the publication of investigative journalism and critical research in the fields of the state, civil liberties and openness" in the European Union and its members. News, bulletin, documents, and analytical papers online or linked.
European Policy Studies Association-- "The first
transeuropean research network, comprises leading
research institutes in the field of European affairs
throughout Europe,... [whose] aim is to provide high
quality research on European integration in order to
stimulate discussion on policies and political options
for Europe... by interaction between the European and
national institutions as well as the academic and
research community." Posts publications and a newsletter
on integration issues.
• Virtual Centre of
Knowledge of Europe-- An "interdisciplinary
centre dedicated to the European integration process,"
CVCE posts "a wide range of previously unpublished
documents, oral accounts, contemporary film footage,
analytical material and scholarly articles that
document the European integration process."