Info Europe-- An NGO "defending and promoting
the right of access to information in Europe." Posts
studies, news, information, and toolkits on that
• Amnesty International-- One of
the world's largest international voluntary
organizations dealing with human rights and political
repression, including government treatment of
journalists. The Annual Report is available
online, in addition to other studies and news reports,
especially human rights information by country and
topic. Large library, media center, and educational
19: the Global Campaign for Free Expression--
From a British NGO that promotes freedom of expression
around the world, information about the group's
activities and many studies on the status of freedom
of expression, particularly in the mass media and in
dictatorships and new democracies.
• Committee to Protect Journalists-- Nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that monitors abuses against the press and promotes press freedom around the world. Copious news alerts, documentation, special reports, country reports, database, and denunciations, plus the annual Global Impunity Index, which "spotlights countries where journalists are slain and killers go free."
• European Journalism Centre-- "Independent, international, non-profit institute dedicated to the highest standards in journalism, primarily through the further training of journalists and media professionals. Building on its extensive international network, the Centre operates as a facilitator and partner in a wide variety of training projects." Fine source for information and analysis about journalism in Europe, with country profiles.
• European Journalism Observatory-- "Network of 14 non-profit media research institutes in 11 countries. The network aims to disseminate research on journalism and global media issues, and to foster professionalism and press freedom." Posts news and analysis about journalism and media research worldwide, in many languages.
• Freedom House-- Many online studies ranking countries on measures of freedom, such as the annual reports about "Freedom of the Press," "Freedom in the World," and "Freedom on the Net," informative backgrounders, and other publications are offered by this nonprofit, nonpartisan U.S. organization dedicated to promoting democracy around the world.
• freedominfo.org-- "This site is a one-stop portal that describes best practices, consolidates lessons learned, explains campaign strategies and tactics, and links the efforts of freedom of information advocates around the world. It contains crucial information on freedom of information laws and how they were drafted and implemented, including how various provisions have worked in practice."
• Global Journalist-- From the School of Journalism of the University of Missouri, a fine site on international media and freedom of expression issues around the world, with text, video, and audio files from the radio program "Global Journalist Radio."
• Google Transparency Report-- Presents "data that sheds light on how laws and policies affect Internet users and the flow of information online."
• Human Rights Watch-- Dedicated
to protecting the human rights of people around the
world, by investigating and exposing human rights
violations and holding abusers accountable. Many
reports online, including the annual World Report,
with chapters by country
• Index on Censorship-- "An international organisation that promotes and defends the right to freedom of expression... we fight for free speech around the world, challenging censorship whenever and wherever it occurs." Features "interviews, monitoring, reports and in-depth policy analysis from around the world."
• Institute for War and Peace Reporting-- "Helps people in the world's most challenging environments have the information they need to drive positive changes in their lives — holding government to account, demanding constructive solutions, strengthening civil society and securing human rights." Posts news, analysis, reports, local media programs, and more from conflict zones worldwide.
• Inter-American Press Association-- Prestigious "non-profit organization dedicated to defending freedom of expression and of the press throughout the Americas." Reports, press releases, and news on press freedom in the countries of the Western Hemisphere.
• International Consortium of Investigative Journalists-- "Global network of more than 190 investigative journalists in more than 65 countries who collaborate on in-depth investigative stories," with profiles of its many investigative projects worldwide. Site posts news, case studies, resources, and tips about international investigative reporting.
• International Federation of
Journalists-- The world's largest organization
of journalists, based in Brussels, Belgium, posting
publications, activities, and news items.
• International Freedom of Expression
Exchange-- Network of non-governmental
organizations around the world that monitors free
expression and press freedom violations worldwide.
Posts alerts to freedom of expression violations, news
stories, and more, by issue and region.
Safety Institute-- Based in Brussels, a
"non-governmental organisation dedicated to the safety
of journalists and media staff and committed to
fighting the persecution of journalists everywhere...
a coalition of media organisations, press freedom
groups, unions and humanitarian campaigners working to
create a culture of safety in media in all corners of
the world." Posts news, statistics, and reports on
• International Press Institute--
"Global network of editors, media executives and
leading journalists... dedicated to the furtherance
and safeguarding of press freedom, the protection of
freedom of opinion and expression, the promotion of
the free flow of news and information, and the
improvement of the practices of journalism." Posts
world news related to freedom of the press, public
statements and conferences, and special and country
reports. Note the international Media Laws
Database, "aimed at cataloguing legal provisions
affecting freedom of the press and expression on a
• International Women’s Media Foundation-- "Vibrant global network dedicated to strengthening the role of women in the news media worldwide as a means to further freedom of the press." Posts news, blogs, reports, and other publications about women in the media worldwide, as part of its networking, leadership, training, and advocacy work.
• Internet Monitor--
From Harvard University, "a research project to
evaluate, describe, and summarize the means,
mechanisms, and extent of Internet content controls
and Internet activity around the world... a freely
available online fact base that gives policy makers,
digital activists, researchers, and user communities
an authoritative, independent, and multi-faceted set
of quantitative data on the state of the global
• Knight Center for Journalism in the
Americas-- At the University of Texas at Austin,
this Center maintains a professional training and
outreach program for journalists in Latin America and
the Caribbean and posts news and analysis of
journalism in those regions, including with a blog and
• National Press Club-- In Washington, D.C., a "private association of members of the journalism and public relations community" and "the world's leading professional organization for journalists." Posts videos of luncheon speakers and other materials about current issues.
• Reporters Without Borders-- A
prestigious and well-connected NGO that vigorously
defends press freedom worldwide, posting information
about press freedom, based on multiple measures. Note
especially the annual World Press Freedom Index.
• World Association of
Newspapers and News Publishers-- "Global
organisation of the world’s press... the indispensable
partner of newspapers and the entire news publishing
industry worldwide, particularly our members, in the
defence and promotion of press freedom, quality
journalism and editorial integrity and the development
of prosperous businesses and technology." Many
publications on trends and issues in both online and
printed news and in the news business