Engines for French Language Sites
French Language Search Engines and Portals-- Abondance, Google France, Yahoo! France
Internet broadcasts in French are
accessible through the International Radio and Television
page of this WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs
Language Learning Sites
• Bonjour de France-- "Un « cyber-magazine » éducatif gratuit contenant des exercices, des tests et des jeux pour apprendre le français ainsi que des fiches pédagogiques à l’attention des enseignants de français langue étrangère."
• Documentation française-- "La
Documentation française est une direction d’administration
centrale des services du Premier ministre, placée sous
l’autorité du Secrétaire général du Gouvernement... exerce
une mission de service public en matière d’information
générale sur l’actualité politique, administrative,
économique et sociale française, étrangère et
• Elementary French Courses-- From the Open Learning Initiative at Carnegie Mellon University, Elementary French I and II, free online, "carefully sequenced and highly interactive presentation of French language and culture in a media-rich course environment including new video shot in France and Quebec with young professional actors."
Interactif!-- Online French course "developed at the
University of Texas at Austin in the Department of French
and Italian. A result of over ten years of collaboration
between academic and technical professionals..."
• French Language Guide-- French language facts, culture, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, tests, and more.
• H-France Discussion Network-- "Provides an electronic [scholarly] forum covering all aspects of the history and culture of the Francophone world [and] offers a repository of resources and links which historians and students of French history and culture may find useful."
• Lawless French-- Free site for students and teachers of French, with lessons, quizzes, listening and reading comprehension exercises, study tips, and lots more.
• Learn a Language: French-- From Visual Link Languages, "created by the U.S. Institute of Languages... to help people bridge communication gaps and to give back to the world in which we live." Includes vocabulary, phrases, dictionary, cultural notes, blog, and forum.
• Learn French Online for Free-- "Our free French courses are an online adaptation of the FSI French basic course. We propose 2 main courses: French for beginners and Intermediate French. Each course includes 12 free french lessons."
Offers helpful "verb conjugation resources, grammar
lessons, vocabulary lists... with audio, translations,
practice quizzes and more" in French.
France, Learn French-- Insightful blog about France,
the French language, and learning French.
• TypeIt.org-- "This page allows you
to easily type French accents and other French characters
without a French keyboard. You can edit your text in the
box and then copy it to your document, e-mail message,
• Vocabulix-- Learn French free online, with vocabulary lessons, conjugation tables, verb drills, grammar tips, and dictionary.