Engines for German Language Sites
Internet broadcasts in German are
accessible through the International Radio and Television
page of this WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs
Language Learning Sites
• bund.de – Verwaltung Online--
Internet portal for information from the German Federal
and Länder governments, as well as a directory for general
information about Germany-- "für Bürgerinnen und Bürger,
Unternehmen und Verwaltungen der zentrale Zugang zu den
elektronischen Leistungen und Informationsangeboten der
Verwaltung im Internet."
• Deutsch Akademie's Online German Course--
"The most comprehensive [free] grammar trainer in the
German speaking world." The grammar and vocabulary
exercises are structured according to selected textbooks
and to the levels of the European Framework of Reference
for Languages. The program allows exercising particular
grammatical problems, with answers. Requires free
• Deutsche Welle-- The official German shortwave radio news and features service, with online audio. Note their free online German language courses with audio and video, designed for beginners, advanced users, and teachers of the German language. There are also slowly spoken news reports in German.
• Deutsched-- "German lessons divided into pronunciation lessons (along with audio examples), vocabulary lessons, and grammar lessons (along with exercises and grammar tables), plus other features... all the German lessons you'll ever need to learn the language."
• dict.cc-- Interactive and extensive
online English-German and German-English dictionary, with
forum, audio, toolbar, and vocabulary trainer, where
"every visitor can suggest new translations and correct or
confirm other users' suggestions."
• Die Zeit-- Famous national weekly
German newspaper, with a free online archive of stories
going back to 1946.
• German Academic Exchange Service-- The main German sponsor of student and professor exchange between Germany and other countries, internationalization of education, promotion of German studies overseas, and German educational cooperation with developing countries-- the best source on study, research, and teaching in Germany, with information on and applications for each program.
• Goethe-Institut-- German
government-sponsored but autonomous cultural foundation
with a worldwide network that supports "all those actively
involved with Germany and its language and culture." Posts
some of its publications and information on many aspects
of Germany and the German language.
• Learn a Language: German-- From Visual Link Languages, "created by the U.S. Institute of Languages... to help people bridge communication gaps and to give back to the world in which we live." Includes vocabulary, phrases, dictionary, cultural notes, blog, and forum.
• Noows-- Online magazine with
national and international news such as politics,
economics, sports, life, and so on, with special city
sites for Berlin.
• TypeIt.org-- "This page allows you
to easily type German characters (such as umlauts) without
a German keyboard. You can edit your text in the box and
then copy it to your document, e-mail message, etc."
• Vocabulix-- Learn German free online, with vocabulary lessons, conjugation tables, verb drills, grammar tips, and dictionary.