and Blogs about Western Europe
NOTE: Also check the many relevant links in the European Union section of this Web site, among others.
News Sources in English on Western Europe-- BBC News (UK), The Times (UK), The Guardian (UK edition), The Telegraph (UK), Prospect Magazine (UK), The Guardian (Europe), The Irish Times (Ireland), RTE (Ireland), The Journal (Ireland), France 24 (France), Berlin Policy Journal (Germany), Spiegel (Germany), Deutsche Welle (Germany), El País (Spain), The Nordic Page (Norway), Copenhagen Post (Denmark), Swiss Info (Switzerland), ekathimerini (Greece), Portugal News (Portugal), CNN, Los Angeles Times, Voice of America, Inter Press Service, Reuters
Insightful Blogs on Western Europe-- BlogActiv.eu, Carnegie Endowment, Ideas on Europe (UACES)
Sources about Western Europe
• Centre for European Policy Studies-- From Brussels, one of Europe's leading think tanks, with the motto of "Thinking ahead for Europe." Excellent and numerous online publications, full-text and abstracts, and commentary index, largely on the European Union
• Council of European Social Science Data
Archives-- "Promotes the acquisition, archiving
and distribution of electronic data for social
science teaching and research in Europe...The CESSDA home
pages allow easy access to the catalogues of member
organisations and provide a central news forum about its
activities and other relevant information."
• Europages-- European business
directory that provides 2.6 million company addresses from
over 35 European countries, key business information,
links to yellow pages throughout Europe and to world
• Europe’s World-- Online magazine from Friends of Europe, "a leading think tank that connects people, stimulates debate and triggers change to create a more inclusive, sustainable and forward-looking Europe."
• European Centre for Minority Issues--
NGO that "advances majority-minority relations in the
wider Europe through action, research and documentation...
supports the stabilization of areas of ethno-political
tension and conflict, contributes to the strengthening of
relevant legislation and best practices in governance, and
enhances the capacity of civil society actors and
governments to engage with one another in a constructive
way." All reports, working papers, and issue briefs are
available online in full-text.
Social Survey-- "Academically driven cross-national
survey that has been conducted every two years across
Europe since 2001. The survey measures the attitudes,
beliefs and behaviour patterns of diverse populations in
more than thirty nations." Much data available, with free
• European Values Study-- "Large-scale, cross-national, and longitudinal survey research program on basic human values [in Europe], [carried on by] the European Values Study group... aimed at exploring the moral and social values underlying European social and political institutions and governing conduct." Site posts surveys and results, newsletters, links to data, and more.
• Organization for Security and
Co-operation in Europe-- Many online publications
and newsletters are available from this international
organization, which is "the largest regional security
organization in the world with 57 participating States
from Europe, Central Asia and North America. It is active
in early warning, conflict prevention, crisis management
and post-conflict rehabilitation."
• PublicData.eu-- “Pan European data portal, providing access to open, freely reusable datasets from local, regional and national public bodies across Europe… a single point of access”… so users can “browse, explore and compare datasets by region, subject matter and format.”
• Research Institute for European and American Studies-- From Athens, aims "to promote the understanding of international affairs. Special attention is devoted to transatlantic relations, intelligence studies and terrorism, European integration, international security, Balkan and Mediterranean studies, Russian foreign policy as well as policy making on national and international markets."
• Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced
Studies-- From the European University Institute,
promotes research on the major issues confronting European
society, principally the construction of Europe. Hundreds
of excellent studies are available online.
• Statewatch-- From London, a non-profit group of "lawyers, academics, journalists, researchers and community activists" that "encourages the publication of investigative journalism and critical research in the fields of the state, civil liberties and openness" in Europe. News, bulletin, documents, and analytical papers online or linked.
Nations Economic Commission for Europe-- News,
information, many statistics, and many online reports
are available free in full-text from this United Nations
regional organization. Great source for authoritative
online economic information about Europe. Note the Statistical
Database, with a wide range of data covering
Europe, North America, and Central Asia, and the Official Statistical Organizations
• University Association for Contemporary
European Studies-- Based in the UK, "one of the
world’s premier European Studies associations [which] has
brought together academics involved in researching and
teaching on Europe with practitioners active in European
affairs. It encourages the involvement of people from a
variety of disciplines which have a European emphasis."
Posts mainly UACES materials and maintains the Expert on Europe website, a database
of experts on European matters.
• Western European Studies Section of the U.S. Association of College and
Research Libraries. This very useful site of library and
information guides on European Studies aims "to
provide Western Europe specialists with information for
their work [and] to provide WESS members with information
about the Section [but] does not intend to replicate the
excellent guides prepared in Europe, but to supplement them
and make links among them from an international
"Social science data portal allowing you to search for,
browse, analyse and download [European] social science
survey data, provided by the GESIS department 'Data
Archive and Data Analysis'... Beside documentation
on study level (e.g. abstract, related publications), all
studies come along with documentation of full question and
answer texts on variable level."